Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Last Known Words of Captain Kangaroo

 
"Choosing not to fail is a strange deception. How can it be done? Is it best to stagger wild into a blinding night and thrash at the fear that binds? Or to shelter down against the possible fall and wait for better signs?
I'll not be dulled by intuition of failure. I'll not let the storm that threatens a new horizon with maybe not or maybe to shunt me from my path. But still I am hesitant. Still, I hesitate. Fucking life that stands behind me, whispering to my future, “No.”
Let me sleep on it. I'll give you an answer in the morning."
-Captain Kangaroo, addressing the National Acrobats and Monkey Boxers, LA chapter in November of 1973. The Captain was later found to have been drunk on Listerine and Creme de Menthe after a falling out with his long term partner, Fred McFeely Rogers. He proceed to fire BBs into the crowd before stripping to the waist and diving out of a window. It was the last time he was ever seen in public. Three years later a postcard with no return address in Cpt. 'Roo's hand was received by then President, Gerald "Big Guns" Ford. It was covered in indecipherable occult scrawlings, and one legible line-
"Dear Mary, I yearn for you tragically. A. T. Tappman, Chaplain, U.S. Army"

No comments:

Post a Comment